Friday, April 08, 2005

The Poet In Us All

Some time ago I went to the local shopping mall with a number of purchases in mind, one of them being a special card for a lady I had just begun dating. I, of course, sought something of a romantic verse to illustrate my fondness for that special lady, who incidentally is now my wife. I wanted something poetic, something that would be unique and reflect the special things that we seemed to have between us.

As I scanned card after card it became increasingly clear that what I was reading seemed horribly generic and not at all the personalized verse that I sought after so ardently. As I stood there in the greeting card isle pouring over a sea of affection in folded print a thought occurred to me...I can write like this. Perhaps it was time to put my own pen to paper and create that personalized message as a special gift for my loved one.

So I put each card back on the shelf and left the store, determined to sit down to the computer the next morning and see what words I could find to express my feelings for this wonderful mate of mine. Lo and behold, I began to wax poetic rather readily. I put together a point-form draft of ideas for the piece and then set out to craft an affectionate expression complete with stanzas and a fairly smooth-flowing, charming poem that upon presentation to my beloved proved a very pleasing and heart-warming experience for her to read. That first poem is framed and hanging on a wall in our home to this day.

The writing of this first attempt at poetry quickly spawned further poetic writing and as the positive comments flowed in I began to deliberate on whether I should be considering publishing my poetry. Indeed, numerous of my family and close friends began to encourage me to explore this avenue post-haste. I reflected on this idea of writing creatively for some time.

It did not take long to decide to pursue my newfound writing skills. With all the praise and evident emotion expressed by those who read my work it became increasingly clear that I should share my writing with the reading public. Whether writing poetry brings any commercial success seemed a secondary consideration at this point.

I have been asked many times where I come up with ideas for writing and why I have not pursued writing long ago...I just didn't know I had it in me.

I am now well on my way toward publishing my second book, as yet untitled. Even if a single copy of my books were never sold I have discovered a hidden talent, the poet within, and am overwhelmed by the most gracious response I have received from fellow writers and devoted readers of my work.

I have several online places where I create and archive my poetry, all linked through my website at
http://www.apoetsview.wsmcafe.com . The past two years have been an amazing journey...may the creative juices flow for many years to come.

Don MacIver
author, Journeys In Verse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home